Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I'm In the Papes!

So, somehow or other I ended up in the newspaper. I've known about it for a while, but I wanted to keep mum just in case I looked like a turtle in the picture, or said something totally ridiculous, which I am known to do. (And quite possibly did- I have NO memory for anything I say.) The fabulous Jacquie, (who was also featured, and whose fabulous quilts are pictured throughout the article) and I had a few nervous conversations about the shape our little article would end up taking. But fortunately, the picture ended up with a minimum amount of turtleishness, and I don't think anything that was quoted ended up being offensive, insane, or totally incorrect. Can we all sigh with relief? Thanks.Really, I'm very honored to be a part of this article about our awesome guild and the movement behind it, and I truly hope that it encourages some people to come see what we're all about. I don't see myself as even CLOSE to a person most deserving to be included in the article, I can think of so many other guild members who have done so much more than I have., but the starts aligned themselves in my favor, I guess. Susan, who wrote the article, contacted Harper's (the quilt shop where I work) to get some info, and when she came to interview Elaine the owner, I was there as well. Talking. I talk a lot when it comes to quilting, and the Modern Quilt Guild, and apparently if you throw enough words at someone, they end up sticking like so much wet spaghetti. You'll know this if you've met me, I am a perpetual flinger of word-sghetti.Eventually this led to a photographer coming over to take a photo of me sewing, which was definitely the most nerve-wracking part of the whole business. Because, seriously, this means everything must be mildly presentable, including my face, and I have to make sure I am not hunching old-lady-style while I pretend to sew naturally. La-di-da, no one is pointing a big camera lens at me! La-di-da, of course my sewing room is always arranged in little vignettes to display pretty fabric! La-di-da, oh, I have perfect posture? Why, thank you so much for noticing! ...It ended up not being as bad as I thought, despite the fact that the light was really bad because of an impending snowstorm. And the bonus of it is, I actually have a semi-presentable sewing room right now. I took advantage of it and shot some photos of the room in its pristine state, marvel at it while it lasts. Because trust me, it won't.(Also, does anyone else love Newsies as much as I do? Trick question: It is not possible to love Newsies as much as I do. Snap.)

13 comments:

LizzyHouse said...

Before I graduated from school, I had to fulfill a "cultural" credit.. because I haven't traveled to enough cities... or been in 20 theatre shows or whatever... but one of the events I had to go to was a choir concert, and I kid you not, the men's choir sang "seize the day", and I could have died. It made me laugh/smile/grin for the rest of the night. It was so awesome. Why don't they put Newsies on Broadway?

and young Christian Bale? There isn't a way to love that movie more.

Congrats on being in the paper!

amy h said...

I saw that article. Congrats! I also saw your City News on the wall in Harper's -- that's yours right? Nice job.

And I want your Feist poster.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Lookin' good all around!

Kristin said...

1. I totally got the Newsies reference before I even read this post. SOUL. SISTERS.

2. Lizzy! Newsies WILL be on Broadway! They're putting together an off-Broadway show right now. Seize the day!

3. Have you seen the Lady Gaga/Newsies mashup? It's amazing.

4. Oh yeah, you were in the paper. AND IT WAS AWESOME. I'm glad I know you.

rachel said...

You certainly are in the papers, and mentioned in the opening sentence too! Well done! Sigh... I almost know someone famous......

PS Shame they didn't want to hear about Baxter's sizeable contribution to your success.

Esch House Quilts said...

Word-sghetti :) Love it - a talent I don't posess unfortunately. Congratulations on the great press!

Providence Handmade said...

Super duper cool! And the trick question was totally Dwight Schrute....I can even hear it in his voice.

Shea said...

My mom is under strict instructions to save the copy of the paper for me until I can get home and read a non-internet version! :)

So thrilled for you! And a spiffy sewing studio as a result? Bonus!

I will confess to being a Newsies nerd, too. I think I watched that movie so many times that the VHS eventually gave out.

One question, did you get a copy of the paper and do some song/dance moves from the movie to tie the whole experience together? :)

Does this mean we'll need more chairs at the next meeting? Something tells me, "yes."

C. Jaeger said...

I was thrilled to see the article in the paper! I had to go sew the rest of the day! Yay, to you and Jacquie!

Lael said...

I need that Feist poster-- that's my last name!!!

Unknown said...

Your sewing oom is insane! (in a good way) I wish my was all brightly coloured and happy!
Congrats on the article
!

brandeye said...

awesome, congrats!

Earthtones Girl said...

I saw your article in the paper today and I'm inspired!!!! Thank you.