Sunday, October 24, 2010

I'm Goin' Places. How INCREDIBLY cheesy.

Oh, my. So. A LOT OF STUFF IS GOING ON! Not like, earth-shattering stuff, but all the little stuff that accumulates on the carpet of your brain-floor and then suddenly you can't walk around without stepping on a plastic dinosaur and WHY are there plastic dinosaurs on my brain floor? This metaphor got lost. I must consult my mind grapes. Is anyone reading this anymore?
Here's whats on the carpet.1) I got a new job, at a QUILT STORE! This means I get paid to cut, fold, fondle, and recommend fabric. Obviously, it's a big stretch for me. I wish I had pictures, but I keep forgetting to take my camera in, and also because I fear I will be mocked for takin pictures of my workplace for my blaaaaag. If you live in the KC area, though, you should totally stop by Harper's sometime, because I might be there, and I would probably creep you out with my fabric lust. Funzers? It's great because the people I work with are amazing, and I LOOK FORWARD to going in to work! Also, I get to take the store's classes, so I am going to begin to refine my "technique". It is in quotes because I have none, I am definitely of the SLAP IT TOGETHAH! WITH LOTSA THREAD! school of quilting. But skillz, I will soon have you!2) Cherri House came to Kansas City, and it was So Very Awesome. I was lucky enough to get to have dinner with her on the fist night, see her guild presentation, and then take her workshop the next day. She gave an amazing presentation to the KCMQG, and is just so so so nice, and her work is totally inspirational. The City News workshop was great, the block is really fun and pretty easy to do, now I just have to finish putting it together...3) I am having a little sale in the etsy shop, some totes marked down to $16, which is le cheap. Also, I am super close to 700 sales, so number 700 will get a little something extra!
4) And this is the biggie... I'm leaving for Fall Quilt Market on Thursday! I am super super super excited to hobnob with all of the fabric folks who are my idols, soak in the quilty atmosphere, and, of course, GO TO SAMPLE SPREE. (Hence the etsy sale, frinds.) Drooling about sample spree, and also drooling about CAKE PARTY! I have decided that I will force Lizzy House to be my friend, that's not creepy at all, is it? (Answer: it is.) I'm not sure I've ever been so excited about a trip as I am about this one. (Ok, my honeymoon probably, whatevs.) Who else will be there? WHO? Wanna hang out?5) I'm going to market, so I HAD to make a new bag, right? And what's better than a little blatant self-promotion? I made this bag (Amy Butler's Birdie Sling) in 3 hours, which was highly impressive to me. Of course, I cheated because I used upholstery fabric and so I didn't have to interface anything. The boat fabric is printed on Spoonflower's upholstery weight twill, which is pretty much pure heaven. And the pattern is so easy and fun that even I, the total pattern-fail, could do it, with NO MAJOR TEAR-INDUCING mistakes, AND I started the project after 10:00 pm! Things started at that time of night RARELY end well, but this one was a snap. Oh, the hubris, I am sure the next thing I sew will be an absolute disaster after this paragraph, look forward to my next post being whiny and sad. But for now, I am triumphant! Victoire!
6) A random girl at the city market yesterday told me that my hair was pretty. This has NEVER in my LIFE happened. I am sorry haircut, that I so wronged you. I miss the ponytail, but you have served me well. I am a whiny whiny jerk for crying so long. I'm sorry. Forgive me, follicles, for my sins against you.
7) These quilt blocks? I am in love. I might be biased, but I think they're like the best ones ever. Also, look how nicely bikes play with castle peeps? Another reason why Lizzy and I should be friends. Just sayin'.

15 comments:

teaginny said...

I'm trying really hard to still like you after this jealousy-inducing post.
Have fun. Take lots of pictures. Post lots of details for the rest of us!

Carla said...

So happy that your are having a lovely October, Lauren! I'll be looking for you a Harper's _ you will be a great addition....have fun in Houston! I agree with Alex...trying not to be jealous!

Anonymous said...

I've always thought Harper's might be a nice place to work. They are always very patient when I bring my crazy children in there. :)

Anonymous said...

I've always thought Harper's might be a nice place to work. They are always very patient when I bring my crazy children in there. :)

Lisa said...

When you have a spare moment- will you take your new bag, sling it over your shoulder and take a picture? Pleeeeeease? I've been considering the pattern but can't really tell how big it is. I like big. I'm completely jealous about the quilt store job. That has got to be a dream come true.

rachel said...

Oh, Lauren, how can we bear it? What if you sicken yourself, and can't bear to look at fabric again? Just like those people who work in chocolate factories and can't face the stuff after a few months.....

Too awful to contemplate!

katie s. said...

oh i get so excited when i see pictures of your dog - it looks like the love child of my pup and my mom's (both westie/poodle mixes). <3 silly terriers.

katie s. said...

oh i get so excited when i see pictures of your dog - it looks like the love child of my pup and my mom's (both westie/poodle mixes). <3 silly terriers.

Unknown said...

Your blog is nothing short of hilarious. (It is now my latest blog must-read.) Thanks for the laugh.

And... THANKS for stopping me today! It was totally delightful to meet you! :)

Unknown said...

ok. enough of this amy butler sling bag. i'm getting the pattern NOW. thank you for the inspiration. :-) i'm seeing finished products all over the place and yours just blew away my doubt. the pattern is gorgeous, too. exciting news about your new job. how great. bet you will have LOADS of fun there and maybe you can sell your own fabrics there. ever thought about it?! that would be aaaweeeesooommmeee! you rock anyway. with or without good haircut :-)

Anonymous said...

It worked! WE ARE Friends!!!

Jen in KS said...

I can relate to your giddiness. I got a job at a yarn shop--my all-time favorite yarn shop--a couple months ago. If you're in Wichita, just stop by Twist, even if you're not a knitter. The colors in that store shall blow you away.

Have fun at Market!

Cheryl Arkison said...

One of the funniest posts ever.

Funky's Mama said...

"SLAP IT TOGETHAH! WITH LOTSA THREAD! "

Perfect! It's my new motto.

Kim Eichler-Messmer said...

OMG (did I just type that?) if we ever finally get together you have to tell me all about market! And your hair is adorable.