Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Cats and Dogs


I'm currently confined to one room as we slowly acclimate Rufus to the ways of potty training. The transition of "cat family" to "cat dog family" is going fairly smoothly, but not long after my last post, the peace at my feet was disrupted. I don't know who instigated it or why, but there was barking, and that's enough to send the Beaster packing. It was the smarmy happy way I wrote about them, peaceful and quiet that set it off, I'm sure. I didn't knock on particle board. Oh well. Any tips for living peacefully with both species?

7 comments:

meg said...

we've only been all cat or all dog, so I don't know. Good luck (and good luck with the potty training)!

You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

It seems like if they were okay, they can be okay. I couldn't deal as I had a real serious cat chaser.. but the vet suggested that the puppers be tied to me on a leash when the cat was loose so I could quickly and effectively "correct and reward" any cat dog interactions.

could work..

Joetta M. said...

what absolute cuties!!!

rachel said...

I've got a dog who came into a well-established cat household. In my experience, the dog will eventually learn his rightful place (lower down!) in the pecking order, but you might need to let the cat know that you are on his side at first, as he is likely to be feeling insecure. And jealous - cats do jealousy like the professionals they are!

My dog is looked down on by the cats, but she benefits by having their leftovers to steal, and of course having me all to herself on walks. Good luck!

Marie said...

No suggestions from me as I don't even have a single species under my roof (dratted apartment no pet rule...) but just wanted to say Rufus is cute as a button. Almost as adorable as Baxter ;) (can you tell I'm a cat person?). Good luck with the potty training. I'm knocking on particle board here for you that happy cat-dog family mode kicks in soon!

cookie said...

they will sort it out!
the cat will let him know who's boss..but she (the cat)will need a lot of love from you. my best advice is let them get on with it..
love

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.