Sunday, January 1, 2012

Ringing It In, I Guess?

Ohhh, new year. You make us bloggy-types so REFLECTIVE. I almost begin to think my thoughts are poignant, but I am not entirely fooled.
I am going to summarize, though. Just a bit. 2011, you were a bit of a mess for me. Like, a mess that turned out to be a really good thing, but still a mess. I was all runny and soppy and ridiculous in the beginning, and then everything turned around and the me-goo solidified, and the process of re-sculpting began. God works in mysterious ways, friends. Sometimes he uses prescription drugs (amen!), frequently he uses people you wouldn't expect, and always he uses his Spirit, without which I am SOL.
So, 2012, I am starting you off with LISTS. I love lists, but I like to keep them in little books where other people can't see how many items are left unchecked; I am an ambitious lister. Anyway, these here lists are going out for general human consumption- firstly so that I can reference them when I forget them, and secondly so that you can tell me when I have forgotten them. (Note: lists are addressed to myself, so when I say "you," I mean me. All Lauren, all the time.)

Things I learned in 2011:

-It's good to figure out what you want, and then look at it, like the little naked-desire-worm it is, and decide if you really want it; if it's worth it.

-If it is, go for it. But you might not get it, because that's the way how life works.

-Doing fewer things will probably make you better at the things you do do.

-Any plan you make is probably backwards. Ask for help. Do you NOT KNOW how bad you are at chess?

-Listen to other people. For real. They are right more often than you want to admit.

-It feels better when there aren't dirty dishes in the sink.

-You can spend a lot of time worrying about the ways in which other people are better at stuff than you, but that time will not make you any better off.

Marching orders for 2012:

-Stop buying chairs. You have TOO MANY CHAIRS. (Unless they are dining-table chairs. You need more of those.)

-You have been consistently surprised by the illogical generosity that has been shown to you. Show that to other people. Try to give away more than you take in. It shouldn't be as hard as you want to think it is.

-Finish the projects you started in 2011. The bathroom, at least.

-WATCH LESS TV. Sooooo much less.

-Make more quilts, and then give them to people. You have a serious baby-quilt-backlog.

-You like blogging, so take the time to do it, even when it takes forever and makes you jittery.

-Go outside more, you dirty dirty hermit.
Oh, 2012, I hope you are less messy, but you might not be. You might be messier. We'lljusthaftasee.

18 comments:

beth said...

Here's to a new year - can't wait to see what you'll do! I always love reading your blog!

Jennifer said...

Happy New Year! I just printed out my ODBC and also a crafty version I dredged up. For my listmaking, binder filling, hopeful monthly plans. I too am aiming to get less, give more. I want 50% less junk in my house and to actually act on those "I should do that good thing which I like to do anyway and have the time and means to do but tv is so much easier"ideas. Must remember - goals are meant to de-stress, not oppress!

Kelli said...

I laughed out loud upon reading, "-Go outside more, you dirty dirty hermit."


and then promptly added it to my resolution list.

Bridget said...

Thanks, Lauren, for my first Laugh Out Loud moment of 2012.

Unknown said...

I vote you blog more! (are we allowed to vote?). Because everytime you do it's like reading thoughts from my own head in someone else's head that I didnt even know I had!! (hows that for a trippy sentence) And there is always a giggle your humor speaks to me on so many levels....dirty hermit (love it! And so am I!)

abcgirl said...

Your comment about dishes in the sink is so poignant and true. I'd love to see it as a Laura George poster.

Jessica said...

"Go outside more, you dirty dirty hermit."
i should add that to my list, but i don't think i'm ready for it. maybe in 2013..

katie s. said...

i hope 'go outside more' means we'll see more of you in 2012. last year was a real craphole disaster for me, health-wise and emotionally, and i'm hoping i can shape this year into just a normal craphole instead.

Allison Fouse said...

I can totally relate to marching order #2 and #7. I should post those on my bathroom mirror so I don't forget. =) Happy 2011!

Melanie said...

I'm with you on the less TV. Hope you do continue to blog -- your ideas impact others....don't be jittery. Happy new year....pick out some fabric to cut up today.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you're so wise! Happy New Year to you :)

Beth said...

Sometimes he uses prescription drugs (amen!), frequently he uses people you wouldn't expect, and always he uses his Spirit, without which I am SOL.
okay, so I'll be giving a couple talks on this here Spirit, and I might just have to quote you! may I. It's the best!
... and, in case votes are, indeed, allowed. yes, pls, blog more!

Melissa said...

Yes, yes to blogging more! You have one of the most authentic voices out here in the bloggy universe. Love your honesty and humor! So no need for the jitters :)

Chara Michele said...

I love this post - seriously the "marching orders" for 2012, best reflective post I have read so far :) Aww & look at Baxter! So cute :)

Shea said...

I'll chime in with everyone else here... your posts are so authentic and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your writing. If I was still teaching, I would use it as an example for teaching 'voice' in writing. Seriously.

And, being able to know you as (what Angela and I call) a Real Life Friend is the icing on the cake.

Can't wait to hear what you have to say during 2012.

Now, go outside.

Well, maybe not. It's almost midnight. :)

BFromM said...

I've never seen a resolution to stop buying chairs before!

jacquie said...

stay in touch with your friends...that is on my list. a month in and i've sucked at it. so, how are you?

Jolie said...

"-Go outside more, you dirty dirty hermit."
Mwahahaha - I have a very similar sentiment on my list for this year too!
And yes please to more blogging - I love your voice here!

(Jolie @ tropicalsoup.typepad...openid is shunning me...)